[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #49817: Simple Site Health Improvement to Check for Plugin Compatibility wiith Latest WP Version Release

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Fri Aug 14 11:19:20 UTC 2020

#49817: Simple Site Health Improvement to Check for Plugin Compatibility wiith
Latest WP Version Release
--------------------------------+------------------------------
 Reporter:  aussiedigitalnomad  |       Owner:  (none)
     Type:  enhancement         |      Status:  new

Comment (by aussiedigitalnomad):

 Hi there and thanks for the response.
 However, I think you may have missed my point.

 For example, I have 29 plugins on my site. 2 were updated yesterday and
 the authors indicated that they are compatible with WP 5.5
 There were 2 more plugins updated today.
 At least I know that these authors have taken the time to check whats new
 in WP and that it doesn't affect their plugin, or that they've made the
 necessary changes to make it compatible.
 The others plugins are unknowns at this stage.

 So, if I update WP to 5.5 now, I am taking a much higher risk in breaking
 the site with 24 plugins that have not been checked for compatibility.
 That is an unacceptable risk for me.
 At least when a plugin is updated, the risk is much more limited to the
 functionality of that particular plugin.
 Whereas, when WP has an update, with it being the underlying engine, then
 it affects all plugins. Especially when it's a major update like this one
 to 5.5
 If I have 24 plugins that have not been checked, that risk is substantial.
 I've got a software testing background so understand the need for thorough
 testing and backward compatibility testing.

 Even though the Updates page shows the plugins that need to be updated and
 their version compatibility with WP, unfortunately, after it's updated the
 information disappears and is not easily accessible.
 So, at the moment I either need to keep a record of which plugins have
 been updated and are compatible, or regularly go back again and again into
 each plugins details and check them individually...a time consuming task!
 Hence my original ticket.

 I'll often wait a couple of months before upgrading WP, to allow the
 authors of the plugins to verify their compatibility. This is not ideal I
 know, but neither is breaking my site cause of compatibility errors.
 If the author has not updated their plugin for a long time and possibly
 been abandoned, then we have to make the decision ourselves, is their
 plugin still working on our version of WP, or should I find another plugin
 that is actively being improved and tested with the latest versions of WP.

 So, I understand that screen may not be the best placement for it, maybe a
 better place might be in the description on the Plugins page. If, as you
 said, the author has forgotten to add the compatibility string to their
 readme file, then it will become obvious to them when they see it
 displayed on their own plugins page and they can rectify the problem.

 Please reconsider the necessity of displaying this information.

 Thanks for your time.

 Regards,
 Chris

--