[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #47987: REST API: Add handling of PHP fatal errors while resizing images after upload

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Fri Sep 27 08:36:34 UTC 2019

#47987: REST API: Add handling of PHP fatal errors while resizing images after
upload
-----------------------------+--------------------------------
 Reporter:  azaozz           |       Owner:  TimothyBlynJacobs
     Type:  task (blessed)   |      Status:  accepted

Comment (by talldanwp):

 I like the stripe idempotency idea @TimothyBlynJacobs mentioned. It would
 definitely require some agreement that it's the right approach across the
 API, but it seems a close fit to the existing retries model being
 proposed.

 Some more detail here: https://stripe.com/au/blog/idempotency

 The difference would be that those keys shouldn't really be shared across
 endpoints, so a key wouldn't necessarily be considered a reference to the
 media, but a reference to the specific HTTP request that needs to be
 retried/resumed.

 > It's up to the API maintainers but having a separate "action" for post-
 processing seems to make sense?

 I'm a little unfamiliar with the media endpoints, but it'd seem to me that
 if the `create_item()` endpoint tries to handle post-processing on the
 first attempt, but fails, then it should try again on the second attempt
 in an idempotent model.

 It could probably also work as separate endpoints, though.

 A separate question @azaozz, how would the client handle incomplete
 requests if it's interrupted (i.e. the user reloads the page after an
 upload)?

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/47987#comment:13>