[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #47610: Media modal: add more headings to better identify the main sections and improve content navigation for assistive technology users

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Sun Sep 22 17:37:15 UTC 2019

#47610: Media modal: add more headings to better identify the main sections and
improve content navigation for assistive technology users
 Reporter:  afercia                  |       Owner:  karmatosed
     Type:  defect (bug)             |      Status:  assigned
  patch needs-design                 |  javascript

Comment (by kjellr):

 > I'd like to see the design take information architecture and semantics
 into consideration since the beginning.

 For sure! I think this is the crux of the problem here. Semantic headings
 for these areas clearly weren't baked in when the page was designed
 originally (sounds like many other screens have the same issue). It's much
 harder to get these headings integrated after the fact. I do hope with
 open dialogs like this, we're able to prevent these sorts of mistakes
 moving forward.

 Regarding the task at hand, this particular layout is really packed as is
 — there are two sidebars, a top bar, a bottom bar, ''and'' a middle area.
 It's hard to put more of anything in at this point. That's also a big
 factor here. In any case, it sounds like something like this is more what
 we're looking for?

 [[Image(https://cldup.com/BTt8Uh0J3X-3000x3000.png)]]

 The placement and treatment of these labels seems pretty reasonable and
 organized. Let me know what you think.

 > I'd be in favor of making all the headings in the media modal use
 sentence case. All uppercase should generally be avoided and this is a
 good opportunity to change it.

 I agree, but only if we can make that change globally for the Modal (and
 bump up the size from 12px to 13px. 🙂). If not, I'd prefer not to
 introduce another heading style. This may be more appropriate for a
 separate ticket.

 [[Image(https://cldup.com/lIBaVlaJEX-3000x3000.png)]]

 > Right. On #47149 it was proposed to use "media types" which sounds a bit
 better. However, all the menu items are verbs: Add, Create, Insert. They
 represent actions instead of media types. Except "Featured Image" which is
 inconsistent with all the other items.

 Thanks — I do think "Media Types" is a better label. It would be great to
 change "Featured Image" to "Edit Featured Image" to make them all actions
 at some point.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/47610#comment:24>