[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #36591: discourage the setting of the offset in the options and that way always have a timezone string in options

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Thu May 30 09:08:36 UTC 2019

#36591: discourage the setting of the offset in the options and that way always
have a timezone string in options
---------------------------------------------------+----------------------
 Reporter:  pbearne                                |       Owner:  (none)
     Type:  defect (bug)                           |      Status:  closed
Changes (by Rarst):

 * status:  new => closed
 * resolution:   => wontfix
 * milestone:  Awaiting Review =>

Comment:

 We are on the verge of ''finally'' eliminating the impact of old timezone
 system on the ''code'' side with unified retrieval in #24730

 With a clear path forward there I feel more reinforced that messing with
 this on ''user'' side of things is highly not worth it. This is an ancient
 setting, used on unknown amount of sites, for unknown number of reasons.

 Proactively changing this workflow will introduce user confusion either
 proactively (prompting configuration change) or implicitly (different
 sites will have different availability of this setting and varied
 configuration experience).

 Since we have a plan to deal with a code implications, I say let's just be
 careful and leave this alone on the user side.

 PS If WordPress ever does backwards-incompatible release I will be first
 in line to scrape `gmt_offset` out of core entirely though... :)

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/36591#comment:13>