[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #47160: Backport blocking of plugin updates if required PHP version is not supported

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Sun May 26 10:42:08 UTC 2019

#47160: Backport blocking of plugin updates if required PHP version is not
supported
--------------------------+---------------------
 Reporter:  azaozz        |       Owner:  (none)

Comment (by Clorith):

 I'm worried that this would set a precedent that enhancements can also be
 backported, not just security fixes, not necessarily because we would do
 them, but it adds an argument to "why not, it's done before".

 I'd think that this is self-solving by plugin authors using the `Requires
 at least` header, it sounds like a safer approach. That header is there to
 ensure you're not using core features before they exist, and I would
 classify that following core minimum PHP versions should tie in with this.

 We could probably get the plugins team to help with getting the word out
 about the importance of associating your requirement headers along with
 core versions that allow the use of the features they want (they already
 had an [https://make.wordpress.org/plugins/2019/04/01/wordpress-to-move-
 to-php-5-6/ initial post made about the version bump], recommending that
 plugin authors use their own PHP version checks).

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/47160#comment:6>