[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #47303: Consider removing extra trailing spaces from links with the `dashicons-external` icon

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Sat May 18 14:01:48 UTC 2019

#47303: Consider removing extra trailing spaces from links with the `dashicons-
external` icon
 Reporter:  SergeyBiryukov                       |       Owner:  (none)
     Type:  defect (bug)                         |      Status:  new
Changes (by afercia):

 * keywords:  needs-patch good-first-bug => needs-patch good-first-bug has-
     screenshots

Comment:

 I was looking at this a few days ago (see also screenshot below) because
 the "underlined space" doesn't look so pretty.

 Ideally, the actual printed out ''text'' should have a space like if it
 was normal text. This way, screen readers can read it out respecting the
 separation between words. For example, this text without the space:

 `Read more about why you should use HTTPS(opens in a new tab)`

 Wouldn't be ideal, while this other one:

 `Read more about why you should use HTTPS (opens in a new tab)`

 is announced in an appropriate way. Seems to me the simplest option would
 be using a space ''within'' the visually hidden text. For example, this is
 what the bundled themes generally do:

 `__( 'Continue reading<span class="screen-reader-text"> "%s"</span>',
 'twentynineteen' )`

 Then, the external dashicon could use some left margin.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/47303#comment:3>