[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #47303: Consider removing extra trailing spaces from links with the `dashicons-external` icon

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Fri May 17 10:43:00 UTC 2019

#47303: Consider removing extra trailing spaces from links with the `dashicons-
external` icon
----------------------------+-----------------------------
 Reporter:  SergeyBiryukov  |      Owner:  (none)
     Type:  defect (bug)    |     Status:  new
Component:  I18N            |    Version:
 Severity:  normal          |   Keywords:
  Focuses:                  |
----------------------------+-----------------------------
 The "Read more" links added in [45170] have an extra space before the
 screen reader text and the `dashicons-external` icon.

 In #47300 it was brought up that the screen reader text is a hidden span,
 so it should NOT be preceded by any space.

 Looking at other strings with the `dashicons-external` icon, they all have
 the space before the screen reader text and the icon:
 * Learn more about updating PHP
 * Read more about what WordPress requires to run.
 * Get help resolving this issue.
 * Read about debugging in WordPress.
 * Read more about why you should use HTTPS

 Same for the strings added earlier in `wp_dashboard_events_news()`,
 `wp_dashboard_php_nag()`, and `wp_direct_php_update_button()`:
 * Meetups
 * WordCamps
 * News
 * Learn more about updating PHP
 * Update PHP

 Some of these links don't have an underline and the extra space looks OK
 (to me it actually looks better with the space before the icon, as is).
 Others, however, do have an underline and the extra space looks a bit
 weird.

 For the links with an underline, we should either remove the trailing
 spaces or (preferably) split them so that the icon is linked separately.