[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #44575: Network administrators are allowed to register sites with hyphens, but wpmu_validate_blog_signup disallows hyphens

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Wed May 8 21:56:21 UTC 2019

#44575: Network administrators are allowed to register sites with hyphens, but
wpmu_validate_blog_signup disallows hyphens
--------------------------------+------------------------
 Reporter:  greatislander       |       Owner:  (none)
     Type:  defect (bug)        |      Status:  closed
Changes (by jeremyfelt):

 * status:  new => closed
 * version:  4.9.7 => 3.0
 * resolution:   => duplicate
 * milestone:  Awaiting Review =>

Comment:

 Hi @greatislander, thanks for the ticket! Sorry for coming through so
 late. This appears to be a duplicate of #20019. I'm going to close this
 ticket so that we can focus on a solution there.

 > Is there a reason for this discrepancy?

 My hunch is that it is related to how signups were originally handled in
 b2++. The username (also site) that someone signed up with would translate
 to the DB table prefix for that site: `b2_jeremyfelt_posts`, etc... so
 only a limited set of characters were allowed.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/44575#comment:3>