[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #47186: At least one function in /wp-includes/sodium_compat/src/Core32 times out on 32 bit servers

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Wed May 8 18:30:36 UTC 2019

#47186: At least one function in /wp-includes/sodium_compat/src/Core32 times out on
32 bit servers
----------------------------+------------------------------
 Reporter:  lovingboth      |       Owner:  (none)
     Type:  defect (bug)    |      Status:  new

Comment (by lovingboth):

 On another VPS it's happening on, lscpu says it's a Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU
 E5-2630L 0 @ 2.00GHz with a BogoMIPS of 4000.

 Setting max_execution_time = 60 on this one is not sufficient to avoid
 problems.

 In the updates page of the dashboard, if I update Twenty Ten, **it takes
 30 seconds** from the appearance of 'Update Themes' to the 'The update
 process is starting. This process may take a while on some hosts, so
 please be patient...' lines. It then doesn't complete before timing out.

 I know the cryptographic functions in the sodium_compat library are
 designed to have a constant execution time for any particular task, but
 it's clearly too long.

 (Unless someone here is paying for me to have faster VPSes...)

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/47186#comment:3>