[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #46612: The Next Leap Forward for WordPress: Business Operations Data Application Development (BODAD) Capability

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Fri Mar 22 20:01:28 UTC 2019

#46612: The Next Leap Forward for WordPress: Business Operations Data Application
Development (BODAD) Capability
-----------------------------+------------------------------
 Reporter:  dmillerweb       |       Owner:  (none)
     Type:  feature request  |      Status:  new

Comment (by mdwolinski):

 Hi David,

 First, I'm not a core developer.  I am, however, a Project
 Manager/Developer of internal enterprise sites for a large global
 entertainment company. So, take my perspective with that grain of salt.

 From reading through your linked Google document, it would appear to me
 that you're essentially suggesting a reporting tool along the lines of
 Tableau or Business Objects.  More so Business Objects with it's ability
 to create universes that connect multiple datasources together into one.

 I'm wondering why you feel this would need to be part of core?

 It seems to me that what you're proposing would be ideal as a plugin,
 whether developed by Automattic, an independent developer or you (or a
 developer you hire ;-).

 The reasoning behind it being developed as a plugin is two fold, first
 from my understanding any new added functionality to the core is first
 developed as a plugin to test it out before it's merged into core (see
 Gutenberg as an example).

 Second, the functionality you're proposing doesn't need to be part of core
 to be functional, ie it gains nothing by being included as part of core.
 So, if developed as a plugin, then it can be installed by anyone who would
 be interested in such features (see WooCommerce, Jetpack, bbPress,
 BuddyPress all great and robust functionality added as plugins)

 There are probably businesses (and individuals) who would certainly
 appreciate by having a robust reporting tool available to them within
 WordPress, especially if it comes with prebuilt reports based on the
 WordPress tables.  I could certainly see companies who could potentially
 develop this as a plugin to build a business around.  Could also be a
 great feature plugin used by WordPress VIP and their customer base.

 Interesting idea, but as someone who has used many reporting tools in the
 corporate environment, not easy to get right or easy to use.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/46612#comment:5>