[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #46612: The Next Leap Forward for WordPress: Business Operations Data Application Development (BODAD) Capability

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Fri Mar 22 18:07:02 UTC 2019

#46612: The Next Leap Forward for WordPress: Business Operations Data Application
Development (BODAD) Capability
----------------------------+----------------------------------------------
 Reporter:  dmillerweb      |      Owner:  (none)
     Type:  feature         |     Status:  new
  request                   |
Component:  General         |    Version:  trunk
 Severity:  major           |   Keywords:  Database Application Development
  Focuses:                  |
----------------------------+----------------------------------------------
 '''WordPress is the unquestioned leader''' for building new websites,
 either by people or businesses managing their own sites, or increasingly
 by developers building websites for clients. In spite of the fact that
 WordPress is a database-driven application, and already has some robust
 database tools, there is currently NO capability for WordPress website
 developers to build database applications to run the operations of their
 business or organization.

 While there ARE some plugins that allow building tables and even SaaS
 applications for database application, all of them fall short in
 affordability, flexibility, documentation, completeness, and/or ease-of-
 use.

 '''PROPOSAL:''' Develop a Business Operations Data Application Development
 (BODAD) capability for WordPress. This should either be a part of the
 WordPress core, or a fork of WordPress, so developers can download a core
 with this capability or without it.

 '''SPECIFICATIONS OUTLINE:''' A more complete proposal and outline of the
 specifications for this BODAD project are in a Google Document, at
 [https://docs.google.com/document/d/1k4Y5bc2ES3bsLfhrz8tcP36bV85kWAbgkRXYS91PY08/edit?usp=sharing]

 '''MY ROLE:''' I have more than 35 years programming experience, more than
 20 years experience developing business database applications, including 5
 years as project manager. I have been building websites since 1995 and
 began working with WordPress in 2009. While I have moderate fluency with
 PHP and MySQL, I am relatively inexperienced in the WordPress Core, but
 would be happy to work with the project management team to bring this
 project about.

 '''BENEFITS:''' This project will be the "Next Leap Forward for WordPress"
 in that it will expand its capabilities beyond being the best brochure-
 style website platform in the world, to being the platform of choice for
 the hundreds of thousands of developers with clients who need an online,
 database-driven, business operations management system.

 I am enthusiastic and confident that this project is needed, wanted, and
 will see a mushrooming explosion of demand as more and more developers see
 what they can do with it.

 Finally, I'm not sure what to do from this point, so I'm turning it over
 to you, the WordPress core development team, with a request to let me know
 how I can help with the project.

 Thanks, and take care,

    ''David in Mississippi''