[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #47559: Subtitle tracks use English as default (hardcoded) in track element srclang and label attributes

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Fri Jun 28 20:27:30 UTC 2019

#47559: Subtitle tracks use English as default (hardcoded) in track element srclang
and label attributes
--------------------------+--------------------------------
 Reporter:  BjornW        |       Owner:  (none)
Changes (by BjornW):

 * focuses:   => ui, accessibility
 * version:   => 5.2.2

Comment:

 Currently (using version 5.2.2) adding a subtitle is needlessly opaque as
 you can see in the attached screencast. As far as I can tell, it is only
 possible via the video widget if someone presses the 'edit video' button.

 I'd consider this a quite annoying usability issue which I think we need
 to address rather sooner than later since subtitles are considered best
 practices for accessibility. Not to mention required for
 [https://www.w3.org/WAI/WCAG21/quickref/ WCAG compliance].

 A user might accidentally press the edit video button in the video widget,
 but nothing indicates that they are able to add subtitles via this button.
 Adding video via the Gutenberg video block doesn't help either. It has no
 option to add subtitles at all.

 The other issue is that any subtitle added to a video is considered
 English. Regardless of the contents of the subtitle file's language or the
 language chosen in WordPress. This is clearly a bug, although while
 grepping through the trunk source I noticed
 [https://core.trac.wordpress.org/browser/trunk/src/js/media/views/frame
 /video-details.js#L123 srclang has been set to 'English' hardcoded].

 As the current UI/UX for adding subtitles is already problematic (to say
 the least), adding an option to set the subtitle label and scrlang
 attributes feels like polishing a turd.

 I'd like to discuss possible solutions to solve this issue and I'm willing
 to help out with this provided a Core committer commits to solving this
 issue as well. Without a Core committer I'm not willing to spend any time
 on patches since they'll probably be lingering for months or even years.

 PS: Sorry about the numbers linking (can't edit this) in the attached
 screencast description.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/47559#comment:2>