[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #47466: Add a comment to .htaccess markers, labelling inserted strings as read-only/ dynamic

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Thu Jun 27 22:55:55 UTC 2019

#47466: Add a comment to .htaccess markers, labelling inserted strings as read-
only/ dynamic
-----------------------------------------------+---------------------------
 Reporter:  bradleyt                           |       Owner:
                                               |  SergeyBiryukov
     Type:  enhancement                        |      Status:  reviewing
Changes (by SergeyBiryukov):

 * keywords:  has-patch needs-unit-tests => has-patch needs-unit-tests
               commit

Comment:

 Thanks for the patch @bradleyt, it's a great start.

 > Given that the .htaccess file directives are server-side and specified
 in English I've intentionally not passed these instructions through `__()`
 With over 50% of WordPress installations using a non-English locale, I
 think these instructions should be translatable, otherwise they don't
 provide any benefit to the user who does not understand them.

 While testing the patch, I realized that
 [https://developer.wordpress.org/reference/functions/extract_from_markers/
 extract_from_markers()] needs to skip these instructions. Otherwise, if
 `.htaccess` is not writable, [source:tags/5.2.2/src/wp-admin/options-
 mismatch between the generated rewrite rules and the ones read from the
 file, and display the "You should update your `.htaccess` now" message.

 considerations in mind.

 Before:
 {{{
 # BEGIN WordPress
 <IfModule mod_rewrite.c>
 RewriteEngine On
 RewriteBase /src/
 RewriteRule ^index\.php$ - [L]
 RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
 RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d
 RewriteRule . /src/index.php [L]
 </IfModule>

 # END WordPress
 }}}
 After:
 {{{
 # BEGIN WordPress
 # The directives (lines) between `BEGIN WordPress` and `END WordPress` are
 # dynamically generated, and should only be modified through WordPress
 filters.
 # Any changes to the directives between these markers will be overwritten.

Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/47466#comment:7>