[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #47485: I18n: Merge similar string between editor and widgets by unescaping a character

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Wed Jun 5 09:57:42 UTC 2019

#47485: I18n: Merge similar string between editor and widgets by unescaping a
character
------------------------------+-----------------------------
 Reporter:  jorgefilipecosta  |      Owner:  (none)
     Type:  defect (bug)      |     Status:  new
Component:  I18N              |    Version:  trunk
 Severity:  normal            |   Keywords:
  Focuses:                    |
------------------------------+-----------------------------
 In the calendar block in the editor, we use the string 'A calendar of your
 site’s posts.' in the calendar widget in PHP we use the following string
 'A calendar of your site’s Posts.'. These strings should be merged.
 A PR was proposed in the Gutenberg repository to change the editor string
 https://github.com/WordPress/gutenberg/pull/14975/. To follow that path we
 would need to add some unescape function to the editor the problem is that
 unescaping the string has security implications.
 So here we try the opposite direction, change the core string to match the
 editor, locally this works well, but I am not sure if there is a reason to
 escape characters in core and would love some feedback or thoughts on how
 we can merge this strings between Gutenberg and core.
 Props to @ramiy for starting this discussion in the Gutenberg repository.