[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #18146: Add user-level & front end timezone display flexibility according to a fixed time [GMT:0]

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Wed Jul 31 06:26:16 UTC 2019

#18146: Add user-level & front end timezone display flexibility according to a
fixed time [GMT:0]
-------------------------------+-----------------------------
 Reporter:  RanYanivHartstein  |       Owner:  swissspidy
     Type:  feature request    |      Status:  assigned

Comment (by Rarst):

 Replying to [comment:58 asaturn]:
 > I work for a large corporation that is currently switching our internal
 sites to WordPress. We have offices all around the world, and a local
 timezone setting is something I've been trying to code myself.

 It would be helpful to hear what are your needs on a real project and
 workflow/design consideration, if it's possible for you to share. :)

 To keep everyone updated on general Date/Time component progress, we had
 finally produced a `wp_timezone()` function for unified time zone
 handling, regardless of WP settings. Waiting for merge. This will make
 Date/Time component ''a lot'' less broken and a lot more centered about
 working with real DateTime objects.

 On other hand for the moment I've scrapped the idea of moving to canonical
 UTC, because additional feedback and research showed that it's not future-
 compatible approach. Since time zones can change arbitrarily in the
 future, it would be broken to rely on UTC for scheduling purposes. So
 fixing database time storage would need a different take.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/18146#comment:59>