[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #42965: Widgets not restored to previous widget area after switching back to previous theme

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Tue Jul 30 18:33:13 UTC 2019

#42965: Widgets not restored to previous widget area after switching back to
previous theme
--------------------------+-----------------------
 Reporter:  probewise     |       Owner:  (none)
     Type:  defect (bug)  |      Status:  reopened
Changes (by joyously):

 * keywords:  needs-patch close => needs-patch
 * status:  closed => reopened
 * resolution:  wontfix =>

Comment:

 Replying to [comment:13 SergeyBiryukov]:
 > Per comment:7, the current behavior appears to be the expected one.

 I don't read it that way at all. I think this is still broken.
 What I expect to get when I switch themes is the widgets set the way I
 last left them. Obviously, the OP expects that also.

 Replying to [comment:7 obenland]:
 > The idea behind that was that presumably widget assignments change more
 often than themes are being switched, and switching themes back and forth
 was mitigated by the Customizer.

 This presumption doesn't include these common cases
 * programmatic theme switching (front end switching, or admin for fatal
 errors)
 * those of us that do theme review (or just like switching themes)
 * troubleshooting by switching to a default theme (many support topics
 recommend)
 * widgets provided by the theme should remain, for that theme

 The Customizer is not always used to switch themes. And widget assignments
 generally are tailored to the theme's widget areas anyway.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/42965#comment:15>