[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #47677: Add ability to Search Plugins within Categories like Recommended and then have option to order plugins by popularity or # of installations

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Thu Jul 11 12:44:51 UTC 2019

#47677: Add ability to Search Plugins within Categories like Recommended and then
have option to order plugins by popularity or # of installations
-----------------------------+---------------------------------
 Reporter:  aranorton        |       Owner:  (none)
     Type:  feature request  |      Status:  closed
Changes (by SergeyBiryukov):

 * status:  new => closed
 * focuses:  ui => ui, administration
 * component:  General => Plugins
 * milestone:  Awaiting Review =>
 * resolution:   => duplicate

Old description:

> As a relatively new WordPress user, it is very overwhelming to be
> presented with tens of thousands of plugins with very little idea which
> ones work well, which ones are the best in each category of
> functionality, and which ones are really needed on my Wordpress website.
> Google research only goes so far and is pretty time consuming with
> everyone having a different opinion.  It would be so much more helpful if
> the Search Plugins function could do a keyword search within the
> categories like Recommended, Popular, Featured, etc.  It would also be
> great if the results could be presented with the option to order them by
> the rating highest to lowest or largest number of installs to least
> number of installs instead of just presenting the results in any random
> order.  They could also be ordered by which version of Wordpress they are
> compatible with or which PHP version they work with.  This ordering
> option should also be available to a regular keyword search as well.  I
> really don't want to go through 300 pages of, for example, widget plugins
> to find what I need because the one with the most installs is on page
> 299.  Maybe you could add an option to choose how many of the sorted
> plugins the user wanted to see, like only show the first 25 of the most
> installed widget plugins. From an extremely overwhelmed newbie, please
> help!!!

New description:

[...]

 Hi @aranorton, welcome to WordPress Trac!

 Thanks for the ticket, we're already tracking this enhancement in #31192.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/47677#comment:1>