[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #46151: twentynineteen deliberately ignores majority of wordpress installs (and previous twentyseventeen) using featured image rather than headers.

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Wed Jan 30 16:56:47 UTC 2019

#46151: twentynineteen deliberately ignores majority of wordpress installs (and
previous twentyseventeen) using featured image rather than headers.
-----------------------------+-----------------------------
 Reporter:  Puddleglum       |      Owner:  (none)
     Type:  feature request  |     Status:  new
Component:  General          |    Version:
 Severity:  major            |   Keywords:
  Focuses:                   |
-----------------------------+-----------------------------
 re: PR 133

 A standard of static website design is the unifying header whether or not
 it includes an image (which for style and branding purposes, it MOST often
 does).

 I would hazard that THE MAJORITY of all static WordPress sites use some
 sort of unifying header with logoing/branding/themeing image.  By
 majority, I mean super super super majority.

 The logic in closing PR 133 is therefor nearsighted in the extreme.  It's
 nice to have goals, but not when they leave MOST of those who utilize
 something standing out in the frigid cold.

 FURTHER: The purpose of a Featured Image is to have a Featured Image, not
 to generate a header.  If one wanted to POLITELY hijack the Featured Image
 one could simply add a 'use for header' checkbox to the Featured Image
 panel instead of co-opting and changing a long-standing element of
 Wordpress design.

 Further, the day after stating that the position is open for discussion,
 kjellr closes the discussion.  22 days ago he closed PR 243.
 ----
 **allancole reviewed on Nov 5, 2018**
 Because this theme is primarily focused on Gutenberg, we don’t really want
 to add too many content-related customizer options. Instead we want to
 promote the Gutenberg editor as much as possible, so we’re utilizing
 featured images to achieve the header image behavior.

 As always, we’re open to further discussion on this :-)

 **kjellr commented on Nov 6, 2018**
 Yes — as per @allancole's notes on focusing on Gutenberg, let's leave this
 out for now. I'll go ahead and close this.

 **kjellr closed this on Nov 6, 2018**
 ----
 Re: PR 243

 **kjellr commented 22 days ago**
 The PR related to this issue (#133) was closed a few weeks ago, so we
 could put the customization focus on Gutenberg, not features like custom
 headers. See @allancole's notes here: #133 (review)

 As a result, I'm closing this issue as well. Thank you for your
 contribution!

 **kjellr closed this 22 days ago**