[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #45864: On list page All(x) count does not consider Trash items. Hence Trash should appear differently

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Tue Jan 8 13:29:51 UTC 2019

#45864: On list page All(x) count does not consider Trash items. Hence Trash should
appear differently
--------------------------------+-----------------------------------------
 Reporter:  subrataemfluence    |      Owner:  (none)
     Type:  enhancement         |     Status:  new
Component:  Text Changes        |    Version:  5.0.2
 Severity:  normal              |   Keywords:  2nd-opinion has-screenshots
  Focuses:  ui, administration  |
--------------------------------+-----------------------------------------
 I find it confusing with the way WordPress shows `All(xx)` along with a
 broken down counts of each status when we have trashed items, `All(xx)`
 only considers un-trashed posts.

 So I feel displaying `Trash(xx)` exactly as rest of the status is not
 visually right. Since Trashed items are not considered in `All` count, it
 needs to be displayed a bit differently.

 I think if we can do something like the following it will look more
 logical.

 1. Increase left margin before `Trash(xx)` so that it looks a bit
 separated.
 2. Change the color of Trash link to `#dc3232`. Since `Delete Permanently`
 and `Trash` links are also using red color.
 3. One more observation. We are writing `Published`, `Scheduled`, so I
 think rather `Trashed` could be used instead of `Trash` to match the rest.

 Here is a proposed solution:

 File: `/wp-admin/css/common.css`

 {{{
 .subsubsub li.trash-posts {
     margin-left: 2rem;
 }

 .subsubsub li.trash-posts a {
     color: #dc3232;
 }
 }}}

 File: `wp-admin/includes/class-wp-list-table.php`

 {{{#!php
 <?php
 public function views() {
    foreach ( $views as $class => $view ) {
      if(  'trash' === $class ) {
        $views[$class] = "\t<li class='$class trash-posts'>$view";
      } else {
        $views[$class] = "\t<li class='$class'>$view";
      }
    }
 }
 }}}

 File: `wp-includes/post.php`

 {{{#!php
 <?php
 register_post_status( 'trash', array(
   'label'       => _x( 'Trash', 'post status' ),
   'label_count' => _n_noop( 'Trash <span class="count">(%s)</span>',
 'Trashed <span class="count">(%s)</span>' ),
 ) );

 }}}

 Please let me know if this makes sense.