[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #29022: Screen reader text (and link title) isn't updated when plugin update count is updated

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Sat Jan 5 21:14:27 UTC 2019

#29022: Screen reader text (and link title) isn't updated when plugin update count
is updated
 Reporter:  pento        |       Owner:  (none)
     Type:  defect       |      Status:  reopened
  (bug)                  |

Comment (by afercia):

 > its amazing how complicated it is when seeming so simple at first glance

 > Alternatively, we can go for the easier option of just setting the
 string to "Updates available", and not bothering trying to generate an
 accurate string.

 @pento @adamsilverstein looking into this, I'd be totally in favor of a
 drastic simplification. I'd propose to always use a ''visible'' text
 "Updates". As a user, I don't need over-detailed information in the hidden
 text. For example, when all update types are present, the string would be
 something like this:

 `1 WordPress Update, 1 Plugin Update, 2 Theme Updates, Translation
 Updates`

 That's redundant and adds a lot of noise. I wouldn't need the count
 either: I just need to know there are updates. The details are already
 available in the Updates page. Removing the count entirely and making the
 text always visible would also make this link accessible to speech input
 users.

 [[Image(http://cldup.com/aeKtZl6Vth.png)]]

 Worth remembering this link is not visible when there are no updates.

 I've noticed there's a filter for the various counts and titles, not sure
 if it's possible to remove it: not sure if plugins or themes actually use
 it.

 If there's consensus, I'd like to explore this approach.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/29022#comment:27>