[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #18146: Add user-level & front end timezone display flexibility according to a fixed time [GMT:0]

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Fri Feb 15 18:49:38 UTC 2019

#18146: Add user-level & front end timezone display flexibility according to a
fixed time [GMT:0]
-------------------------------+-----------------------------
 Reporter:  RanYanivHartstein  |       Owner:  swissspidy
     Type:  feature request    |      Status:  assigned

Comment (by johnjamesjacoby):

 Perhaps put another way, it was accidentally user-hostile & discriminatory
 to force everyone users to publish to the web in English, so WordPress.org
 and thousands of volunteers have invested enormous effort into translating
 WordPress into dozens of other languages.

 It is similarly, unintentionally, user-hostile & discriminatory to force
 users to adjust (or ignore) another person's date or time formatting,
 calculating 24-hour time vs. am/pm meridems , swapping months and days,
 etc...

 ----

 It does not help that the WordPress admin area UI internally uses wildly
 different formatting on a screen-by-screen basis, so an audit should be
 done to identify all of them so they can be addressed uniformly.

 Gutenberg and the new block-based editor handles this pretty well (kudos!)
 by taking the date and time formats into account and adjusting the inputs
 as needed.

 ----

 In my experience, the reason this setting appears debatable, is because of
 a few different things:

 * most sites are not multi-author
 * of those, most do not span multiple timezones
 * we've all gotten used to how bad it is, and either doing the math or not
 trusting the values

 Which might be my way of saying that just because this may not be an issue
 for you yet, doesn't mean it hasn't been for others since forever. This is
 a legitimate design flaw, and deserves to be addressed. Perhaps it's worth
 breaking this issue into smaller, more manageable tasks, and combining
 them into a master ticket someplace else?

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/18146#comment:48>