[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #46244: Gutenberg editor - Editor Block Toolbar (components list) covered after Page Update

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Wed Feb 13 17:36:13 UTC 2019

#46244: Gutenberg editor - Editor Block Toolbar (components list) covered after
Page Update
--------------------------------+-----------------------------
 Reporter:  phillipburger       |      Owner:  (none)
     Type:  enhancement         |     Status:  new
Component:  Editor              |    Version:
 Severity:  normal              |   Keywords:
  Focuses:  ui, administration  |
--------------------------------+-----------------------------
 When using Gutenberg to do basic editing of text blocks (I was on a
 WordPress.com site as well, if that helps) - I realized that after doing
 the Update on the page, the editor toolbar will be covered by the Page
 Updated banner going across the screen. See below for examples -

 Before update:
 [[Image(https://i.ibb.co/XJ4V9Vy/gutenberg-before-update.png)]]

 After update:
 [[Image(https://i.ibb.co/ZNRLmyh/gutenberg-after-update.png)]]

 Even as an experienced developer, I did not realize this was happening and
 the issue I am pointing out seems to be that the "Page Updated" banner
 does not need to:
 1. Go across the entire screen
 2. Stay on the screen until you X out of it

 On a wide browser window, just a blank green area covers that bar and if
 you are not paying attention, it seems the toolbar is just gone. The words
 on the green bar are to the far left and X is to the far right.

 Another idea might be to put the words "Page Updated. View Page   X" all
 in the middle of that banner so it is obvious what is going on.
 Potentially also to move it into the edit-post-header area of the page so
 it will not cover part of the page you are editing.

 Thanks so much!!