[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #39595: date_default_timezone_set in wp-settings.php is set prematurely and ignorantly, regardless of other defined settings

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Fri Apr 26 00:36:59 UTC 2019

#39595: date_default_timezone_set in wp-settings.php is set prematurely and
ignorantly, regardless of other defined settings
-------------------------------+----------------------
 Reporter:  mkormendy          |       Owner:  (none)
     Type:  enhancement        |      Status:  closed

Comment (by Otto42):

 Replying to [comment:21 Rarst]:
 > However there is no status change to backwards compatibility aspect. We
 cannot stop setting default timezone without breaking third party code in
 the wild.

 > At the moment I still disagree that we "need" a backwards compatibility
 break in and it is surprising to even hear such in context of WP's
 backwards compat commitments.

 I think we do at least need to consider it, and I don't see that as a
 radical position to take.

 WordPress is moving towards PHP 7. That is in sight. Modernizing this
 handling is a big step, and backwards compatibility breaks at the same
 time is a reasonable thing to think about. Especially if it improves the
 overall benefits going forward.

 Yes, we have had a huge commitment to back compat. But we're charging to
 5.6 only in the next release and to 7.0 only this year. Is there any
 potential better time to pull off that band-aid than then?

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/39595#comment:22>