[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #36346: Twenty Sixteen/Fifteen/Thirteen/Twelve titles can lead to horizontal scrolls

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Thu Apr 18 21:17:38 UTC 2019

#36346: Twenty Sixteen/Fifteen/Thirteen/Twelve titles can lead to horizontal
scrolls
---------------------------+-----------------------------
 Reporter:  Clorith        |       Owner:  ianbelanger
     Type:  defect (bug)   |      Status:  assigned

Comment (by laurelfulford):

 Thanks for highlighting those discussions, @SergeyBiryukov! I didn't
 realize this issue had such a history, and it's good to know the context
 around why it wasn't fixed in earlier themes.

 After reading through the tickets, I would still be for fixing this issue
 in the newer default themes, for a couple reasons:

 * Smaller screen traffic is much more common than it was when the tickets
 were `wontfixed` 4-5 years ago.
 * Having longer words break mimics the behaviour you get in the new block
 editor -- both the site title and editor itself will break too-long text.
 * We've already included word-breaking in some form in the two most recent
 default themes:
         * Twenty Seventeen:
 [https://core.trac.wordpress.org/browser/branches/5.1/src/wp-
 content/themes/twentyseventeen/style.css#L1532 Page content],
 [https://core.trac.wordpress.org/browser/branches/5.1/src/wp-
 content/themes/twentyseventeen/style.css#L2774 widget text] and
 [https://core.trac.wordpress.org/browser/branches/5.1/src/wp-
 content/themes/twentyseventeen/style.css#L2774 tag clouds]
         * Twenty Nineteen:
 [https://core.trac.wordpress.org/browser/branches/5.1/src/wp-
 content/themes/twentynineteen/style.css#L2384 titles]  (the word-wrap is
 always there, though the hyphenation is only set for smaller screens) and
 [https://core.trac.wordpress.org/browser/branches/5.1/src/wp-
 content/themes/twentynineteen/style.css#L4370 paragraphs]

 I'm ''less'' sure it needs to be fixed in all of the default themes. I'm a
 bit leery of changing styles that may not work optimally in the older
 browsers that they should support. But I'm open to discussing that
 further!

 Would appreciate your thoughts here, @ianbelanger & @davidakennedy, along
 with anyone else who has a opinion either way!

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/36346#comment:38>