[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #46789: Site Health: PHP upgrade recommendation label should not be "security" when on a secure version

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Wed Apr 3 20:36:23 UTC 2019

#46789: Site Health: PHP upgrade recommendation label should not be "security" when
on a secure version
 Reporter:  earnjam       |      Owner:  (none)
     Type:  defect (bug)  |     Status:  new
Component:  General       |    Version:
 Severity:  normal        |   Keywords:
  Focuses:                |
 I have a site running on PHP 7.2.16, which is a supported and actively
 maintained version. It does not have any currently know security issues.

 On the Site Health screen, I get the recommendation to update my PHP
 version with a label of `Security`. See attached screenshot.

 I think this label should be changed to `Performance` in the instance
 where a user is using a secure and actively supported version of PHP. It's
 misleading to say a user needs to update for security reasons in that
 case.

 The serve happy API, which is used for this test, returns `is_supported`
 and `is_secure` values. We should look at those to determine whether to
 show `Security` or `Performance` as the label.