[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #44081: Privacy email request failures do not get reported if there are also successful ones

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Thu Sep 27 07:38:38 UTC 2018

#44081: Privacy email request failures do not get reported if there are also
successful ones
 Reporter:  desrosj                              |       Owner:  javorszky
     Type:  defect (bug)                         |      Status:  assigned
Changes (by garrett-eclipse):

 * keywords:  has-patch has-screenshots ui-feedback => has-screenshots ui-
     feedback needs-refresh

Comment:

 Thanks @javorszky this is some great progress.

 First I just wanted to flag to discussion here that the bulk resend action
 was proposed to be removed in #44673. Discussion on that item may
 determine the fate of this functionality so your input is appreciated.

 Taking a look at existing core conventions a few notes.

 Replying to [comment:28 JoshuaWold]:
 > 2. Change “There were no requests to act on” to “'''There were no
 requests selected to act on.'''” As a followup I’m wondering if we could
 just keep people from ever seeing this notice by not not allowing the
 previous action to happen?
 The existing response on Bulk Actions when no items are selected is to
 have no response. This is the same for js and php so if js no action is
 taken and if php reload occurs.[[BR]]
 *That being said I did like the idea that a response should be given on
 these actions with no items are selected so opened #45006 and provided an
 alternate concept of simply disabling the button when no items selected
 [[BR]]
 **If the 'There were no requests to act on.' notice stays, then the return
 there should be a WP_Error instead of just `return;` [[BR]]
 NOTE: This message seems to have been removed in 44081.5.diff so may be a
 moot point here. But the `return;` looks to be kept in 44081.6-44941.diff
 so would need to be updated to return a WP_Error as the phpdoc indicates.

 Also should the bulk action be consistent with the single action in it's
 use of $result instead of $resend;
 https://github.com/WordPress/WordPress/blob/56c162fbc9867f923862f64f1b4570d885f1ff03
 /wp-admin/includes/user.php#L654

 Replying to [comment:28 JoshuaWold]:
 > 1. Change “Re-sent 5 requests” to “Successfully re-sent 5 requests.”
 As to verbiage we should indicate it's a 'confirmation request' and the
 count should be first with the action success or failure last as
 follows;[[BR]] with other notices in core.
 'X confirmation request(s) resent successfully.'[[BR]]
 'X confirmation requests(s) failed to resend.'[[BR]]
 *Note: resend/resent are without a hyphen[[BR]]
 This is also the format with the other privacy notices placing the adverb
 last;
 https://github.com/WordPress/WordPress/blob/56c162fbc9867f923862f64f1b4570d885f1ff03
 /wp-admin/includes/user.php#L667 [[BR]]
 https://github.com/WordPress/WordPress/blob/56c162fbc9867f923862f64f1b4570d885f1ff03
 /wp-admin/includes/user.php#L745

 One thing to note about the initial 'Send Request' notice
 (`username_or_email_for_privacy_request`) is the use of 'initiated'
 verbiage instead of 'sent'/'send'. But in the single retry notice
 (`privacy_action_email_retry`) it's 'sent again'. For these I'm referring
 to the above links.

 Also the `check_admin_referer` found in core seems to be within each
 action of the switch/if rather than preceding it;[[BR]]
 https://github.com/WordPress/WordPress/blob/6fd8080e7ee7599b36d4528f72a8ced612130b8c
 /wp-admin/link.php#L35 [[BR]]
 https://github.com/WordPress/WordPress/blob/56c162fbc9867f923862f64f1b4570d885f1ff03
 /wp-admin/update.php#L28 [[BR]]
 *They seem to have separate referers per action.

 And to wrap up I would go with the separate notices presented in
 44081.5.diff for code simplicity, ease of translation and the distinction
 allows the failed to be denoted as an error to draw attention to itself.

 All the best

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/44081#comment:33>