[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #44671: The "Try Gutenberg" call-out needs an explicit warning for users of assistive technology users and keyboard only users to install the classic editor plugin, complete with its own heading

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Wed Sep 26 13:25:34 UTC 2018

#44671: The "Try Gutenberg" call-out needs an explicit warning for users of
assistive technology users and keyboard only users to install the classic
editor plugin, complete with its own heading
-------------------------+----------------------------
 Reporter:  arush        |       Owner:  (none)
     Type:  enhancement  |      Status:  new

Comment (by rianrietveld):

 I've been thinking about a good text and think it should contain something
 like:

 // start

 About accessibility and the new editor Gutenberg

 WordPress version 5.0 will have a new editor called Gutenberg. The way you
 create new or edit existing content will change. Also the way you publish
 or update content will be different.

 This notification is important if you depend on assistive technology, like
 a screen reader, voice recognition software like Dragon, or if you depend
 on a keyboard only to use and navigate the web.

 The Gutenberg team works very hard to make this new tool as accessible as
 it can be, but there are still issues we need to fix.

 To avoid you getting lost or unable to use WordPress, please install the
 [classic editor plugin](link to activate the classic editor). Then
 Gutenberg will disabled.

 If you want to try if you can use the Gutenberg editor, there is an online
 demo at [testgutenberg.com](https://testgutenberg.com/ ).

 If you want to help testing or need more information, please [contact the
 WordPress accessibility team](link to page on
 make.wordpress.org/accessibility with some ways to contact)

 We will keep you updated on when Gutenberg is fully accessible.

 // end

 I'm not a native English speaker and also don't know the legal
 implications of this. See it as a first go.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/44671#comment:9>