[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #44851: Offer LTS (Long Term Support) version of WordPress 4.9.x when 5.0 (Gutenberg) rolls out

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Wed Sep 5 04:44:15 UTC 2018

#44851: Offer LTS (Long Term Support) version of WordPress 4.9.x when 5.0
(Gutenberg) rolls out
 Reporter:  mor10        |       Owner:  (none)
     Type:  feature      |      Status:  new
  request                |
                         |  docs, administration, template

Comment (by nacin):

 I don't wish the maintenance of this on anyone.

 Replying to @mor10:
 > WordPress has a long shipped security updates for older versions for an
 extended period of time, so technically this is no different from what is
 already happening.

 This has always been based **only** on my own personal belief that if we
 have the ability to auto-update older sites to patch them ''for security
 reasons'', then we should do so.

 The aim has always been that once effort is put into making major-release
 automatic updates a reality, we would just begin to update all 3.7 sites
 to 3.8, and eventually 3.8 sites to 3.9, etc., until there are only a few
 branches in play at any time.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/44851#comment:8>