[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #38721: Remove introduced uses of unescaped HTML from function/parameter/hook descriptions.

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Wed Nov 14 08:33:11 UTC 2018

#38721: Remove introduced uses of unescaped HTML from function/parameter/hook
descriptions.
 Reporter:  coffee2code   |       Owner:  DrewAPicture
     Type:  defect (bug)  |      Status:  accepted

Comment (by coffee2code):

 I guess it's a matter of to what degree we'd like for committers to adhere
 to documentation formatting standards.

 For HTML tags appearing in parameter descriptions (the majority of what
 gets fixed by the patch), the Code Reference can treat the HTML as if it
 was properly originally placed within backticks. See
 [https://meta.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/3920 meta #3821] for that.

 However, for HTML appearing naked in the description of a function or
 hook, those get dropped during the parsing process. See
 [https://developer.wordpress.org/reference/functions/wp_oembed_add_discovery_links/
 wp_oembed_add_discovery_links()] and the hook
 '[https://developer.wordpress.org/reference/hooks/wp_get_custom_css/
 wp_get_custom_css]' for examples where `<head>` should be the part of the
 description but is missing. I haven't investigated the parser yet to see
 if those tags can be escaped and retained.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/38721#comment:3>