[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #45290: The equivalent of `gutenberg_wpautop` from Gutenberg plugin is missing in the 5.0 beta

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Tue Nov 6 22:00:03 UTC 2018

#45290: The equivalent of `gutenberg_wpautop` from Gutenberg plugin is missing in
the 5.0 beta
--------------------------------------------------+---------------------
 Reporter:  nerrad                                |       Owner:  (none)
     Type:  defect (bug)                          |      Status:  new

Comment (by nerrad):

 > Would it be possible to change the priority on the do_blocks call
 instead of wpautop? Since that's the new element?

 Don't take this as a definitive answer, but I think the reason `do_blocks`
 is at an earlier priority is because the intent is to ensure block parsing
 is handled before any other `wp_content` filter callbacks.  This allows
 the blocks to be parsed out of the content and have their serialized data
 removed from `wp_content` reducing the potential mangling of the
 serialization by other callbacks hooking into post_content.

 I think a more solid long term solution might be to parse blocks from
 `the_content` field as soon as its retrieved from the db rather than on
 the fly via `the_content` (maybe set a `has_blocks` property on
 `WP_Post`?).  That way it guarantees we have unadulterated block data.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/45290#comment:14>