[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #43750: Establish a standard means of core reading privacy declarations from plugins’ readme.txt

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Thu May 31 19:02:27 UTC 2018

#43750: Establish a standard means of core reading privacy declarations from
plugins’ readme.txt
------------------------------------+------------------------------
 Reporter:  allendav                |       Owner:  (none)
     Type:  enhancement             |      Status:  new

Comment (by iandunn):

 Hmmm, I'm kinda leery of the idea of relying on a dev manually setting
 `readme.txt` headers. It feels like it'll be much more likely that results
 will be inaccurate. A dev could forget to update it when they add/remove
 export/erase callbacks, use the wrong values, etc.

 It's also adding another thing that devs have to learn about and do.

 I wonder if there's a way we can add support for identifiers to the
 export/erase callback registration process, in a way that'll maintain
 back-compat?

 Or maybe [https://stackoverflow.com/a/2222404/450127 use
 ReflectionFunction to determine the plugin that the callback is from], or
 see which plugins are hooking in to `wp_privacy_personal_data_exporters`.
 Those could have some false-positives there too, though, but maybe it's
 less likely than relying on them being manually set?  Maybe automatic
 detection could be the primary method, then then there's also a filter to
 let devs override the result?

 None of that feels like a very elegant solution, though; a `readme.txt`
 header would probably be simpler. I don't have a strong opinion either
 way.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/43750#comment:12>