[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #44271: grunt watch doesn't detect changes when ran from inside guest machine using VVV

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Tue May 29 22:35:58 UTC 2018

#44271: grunt watch doesn't detect changes when ran from inside guest machine using
VVV
------------------------------+-----------------------------
 Reporter:  mnelson4          |      Owner:  (none)
     Type:  defect (bug)      |     Status:  new
Component:  Build/Test Tools  |    Version:  trunk
 Severity:  normal            |   Keywords:
  Focuses:                    |
------------------------------+-----------------------------
 I created an issue inside VVV's repo too: https://github.com/Varying-
 Vagrant-Vagrants/VVV/issues/1531. Creating an issue here in case this
 issue can be fixed from the WP side. If not, feel free to invalidate this,
 it will probably still be good to have a record of this IMO.

 **Expected Behavior**

 Since WordPress' new build process was introduced (see
 https://make.wordpress.org/core/2018/05/16/preparing-wordpress-for-a
 -javascript-future-part-1-build-step-and-folder-reorganization/) we should
 be running grunt watch which should copy the changes made from the src
 directory into the build one.

 **Current Behavior**

 However, in VVV, when you make a change to a file (from your host machine
 or inside the VM) that's in a shared directory, grunt doesn't notice the
 change.
 Possible Solution

 This is probably because of https://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/10660 (so
 it's a Virtual box issue). BUt I'm reporting here in case someone else has
 this issue and is looking for a fix, and it's possible we might find some
 workaround for VVV.

 **Steps to Reproduce**

     Do git clone git://develop.git.wordpress.org/ from inside VVV's www
 shared folder
     from inside there, run npm install && grunt build. Then grunt watch.
 Wait until it says it's "Waiting..."
     Edit a file from inside src
     Notice that the grunt task doesn't acknowledge that change, nor update
 the corresponding file in build

 **Context**

 I've been using the same WP develop checkout for both developing a few
 plugins, and for the occasional core contribution. So for developing
 plugins I will probably put my wp-content folder outside of the normal WP
 src folder, and use define( 'WP_CONTENT_DIR', dirname( dirname(__FILE__) )
 . '/content' ); define( 'WP_CONTENT_URL', 'http://dev.local/content' );)
 so that I don't need to wait for grunt watch to copy all my changes from
 src to build everytime. But I'm currently a bit stuck for WP core
 contributions.

 **Your Environment**

     VVV version: 2.1.0
     VVV Git Branch: master (commit 710f085)