[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #44067: Refactor get_avatar and related functions to make Gravatar a Hook instead of a Default

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Mon May 14 03:24:43 UTC 2018

#44067: Refactor get_avatar and related functions to make Gravatar a Hook instead
of a Default
 Reporter:  dshanske     |      Owner:  (none)
     Type:  enhancement  |     Status:  new
Component:  Comments     |    Version:
 Severity:  normal       |   Keywords:
  Focuses:               |
 The design of get_avatar and related functions is a problem for a variety
 of reasons. It creates a dependency on gravatar even when a gravatar isn't
 being used.

 However, gravatar is such a long-standing part of WordPress it would hurt
 more to remove it. So, the logical solution is a refactoring.

 We've added filters are various levels. Gravatar should be hooked onto
 these filters, and if someone removes the hook, everything will return an
 anonymous image hosted as part of the plugin.

 Identicon, wavatar, and monsterIDs were originally plugins for WordPress
 that were absorbed by Gravatar(https://blog.gravatar.com/2008/04/22
 /identicons-monsterids-and-wavatars-oh-my/). They generate anonymous icons
 from the provided email or hash. Mystery person can be stored locally, and
 maybe we can add a few options for this.

 It would not change any functionality. It might pave the way for local
 avatars, waiting in #16020 for seven years.

 Gravatars are implemented are problematic from a privacy standpoint, which
 has come out locally as a priority issue. As noted in an 8 year old
 ticket, #14682, it does share your information with gravatar.

 5 Years Ago, in #23179, it waas suggested that gravatars should only be
 used for registered users.

 So, we have people saying that this should be addressed. Local avatars
 continues to be a request, but this isn't that.

 While I set out a bigger agenda here to host the default icons, the scope
 of this ticket would be that if you remove the gravatar hunting hook from
 WordPress, it would just return false, as the signature of the function
 already has as an option.