[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #44054: Privacy: Escape the comment link output in the wp_comments_personal_data_exporter() function.

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Sat May 12 15:45:13 UTC 2018

#44054: Privacy: Escape the comment link output in the
wp_comments_personal_data_exporter() function.
----------------------------+-----------------------
 Reporter:  birgire         |       Owner:  iandunn
     Type:  defect (bug)    |      Status:  accepted
Changes (by iandunn):

 * owner:  (none) => iandunn
 * status:  new => accepted
 * component:  General => Administration
 * milestone:  Awaiting Review => 4.9.6

Comment:

 Thanks for catching that!

 At first glance, I don't see any way for an attacker to introduce
 malicious input to that URL (unless a plugin is filtering it and
 introduces some). Even if there were a way, the malicious script would
 execute in the context of `localhost` on the target's computer, rather
 than the site it was exported from, which I think would mitigate a lot of
 the damage it could do.

 We should definitely still fix it, though.

 In the future, it's best to
 [https://make.wordpress.org/core/handbook/testing/reporting-security-
 vulnerabilities/ report any security issues to HackerOne], even if they're
 only present in `trunk` or a beta/RC. There are some high-profile sites
 that run `trunk` or the latest branch in production.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/44054#comment:2>