[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #43932: Is there any admin setting to enable Do Not Track for Twitter embeds? (Or does Twitter no longer respect dnt?)

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Fri May 4 20:54:21 UTC 2018

#43932: Is there any admin setting to enable Do Not Track for Twitter embeds? (Or
does Twitter no longer respect dnt?)
-------------------------------+------------------------------
 Reporter:  DanYork            |       Owner:  (none)
     Type:  defect (bug)       |      Status:  new

Comment (by DanYork):

 @swissspidy - Ah, thanks for the info. Here is an example on a test site
 where I dropped in a Twitter URL:

 http://danyork.org/2018/05/02/test-with-an-embedded-tweet/

 When I look at the source code for that page, I do indeed see the `dnt`
 parameter:

 {{{
 <figure class="wp-block-embed is-type-rich is-provider-twitter">
 lang="en" dir="ltr">That moment when you take a long, deep breath before
 opening your work email and Slack after being completely offline for a
 week……………</p>— Dan York (@danyork) <a
 href="https://twitter.com/danyork/status/990917186461093889?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">April
 30, 2018</a></blockquote><script async
 src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
 </figure>
 }}}

 However, when I look at Privacy Badger for that page, I do see both:

 - platform.twitter.com
 - syndication.twitter.com

 as trackers.

 Screenshot: [[Image(https://www.evernote.com/l/AAF75qph-4tCT5bpNvmhh-
 s6CV_NRMAaKOA)]]

 Presumably this is coming in from this part of the code:

 {{{
 <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js"
 charset="utf-8"></script>
 }}}

 So my question is answered, in that the "dnt" parameter *IS* being
 correctly added.

 However, in the case of Twitter they seem to be continuing to add trackers
 to my pages, even though they may or may not be doing anything with the
 data. Or they may be using the data for their own purposes, but as they
 say, not for "personalized suggestions and personalized ads".

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/43932#comment:4>