[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #42785: Change default of `show_in_rest` in register_post_type and register_taxonomy

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Fri Mar 30 15:09:38 UTC 2018

#42785: Change default of `show_in_rest` in register_post_type and
register_taxonomy
 Reporter:  joehoyle                             |       Owner:  pento
     Type:  enhancement                          |      Status:  assigned

Comment (by danielbachhuber):

 Replying to [comment:22 youknowriad]:
 > > For the purposes of Gutenberg, loading the Classic Editor for post
 types with show_in_rest=false seems sufficient to me.

 > I strongly disagree with this. The classic editor is there only for
 backwards compatibility concerns, at some point (probably not soon) its
 code will be removed from Core, so conceptually, Gutenberg should be able
 to edit all Post Types with `show_ui` true. Without this we won't be able
 to edit these post types at all.

 I should've been more clear: for the purposes of shipping Gutenberg in
 WordPress 5.0.

 In the short-term, I think we need to keep the Classic Edit for custom
 post types with `show_in_rest=true`. In the long-term, we do need to
 figure out some solution.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/42785#comment:23>