[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #41175: Twenty Seventeen: The letters in words with i, j, l look all the same in h3-headings that are also formatted strong.

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Fri Mar 23 11:53:09 UTC 2018

#41175: Twenty Seventeen: The letters in words with i, j, l look all the same in
h3-headings that are also formatted strong.
---------------------------+------------------------------
 Reporter:  transl8or      |       Owner:
     Type:  enhancement    |      Status:  new

Comment (by mhloppy):

 For anyone who, like me, finds this thread searching for a solution:

 I also noticed this issue on multiple Windows systems (8.1, 10) in
 multiple browsers (Chrome, Firefox). After much fruitless searching, my
 eventual workaround / half-solution was to modify part of the css.

 Under section 19.0 (Media Queries) of style.css you'll find the following
 (although there'll be a bit more spacing than I'm showing here).

         h3 {
         font-size: 22px;
         font-size: 1.375rem;
         }

 which is specifying the font size of h3 (header 3). For some reason
 bolding the latter size results in what the previous screenshots have
 shown (at least in Windows?), with "i" and other "dotted" letters not
 rendering as expected. I changed the second value to 1.4rem and it solved
 this issue for me.

 If there are similar issues with the font rendering oddly in headers with
 "i" etc, then try making tiny adjustments to these sizes - especially if
 you make them slightly rounder numbers. Section 5.0 also has some other
 stuff related to text format. Using Inspect Element in your browser, you
 can find out what the css file is specifying a specific string of text to
 format as/with (search online if you need help with inspect element).

 I do not understand what the root cause is here (does Windows not like
 rendering such un-round numbers?), but hopefully this helps other people.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/41175#comment:3>