[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #43443: Add a method for confirmation of requests for deleting or anonymizing of personal data

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Sat Mar 10 06:45:13 UTC 2018

#43443: Add a method for confirmation of requests for deleting or anonymizing of
personal data
 Reporter:  azaozz                               |       Owner:  mikejolley
     Type:  enhancement                          |      Status:  assigned

Comment (by xkon):

 My 2c on this:

 '''Requests UI''': if the handling is only through e-mails and not add a
 UI at all to keep requests there are tons of failing e-mails everyday
 throughout installations for various ( silly ofc ) reasons as not all
 admins are well Admins per say + in the case of more than 1 admins it's
 easier to just provide a view that everybody has access to.

 If not for the first push, it's something that definitely has to happen at
 some point and soon imho.

 '''About the e-mail''': Not necessarily for 'v1' again but the whole
 e-mail should be an editable thing for Admins through the UI again. If
 possible for a shortcode that they can [confirm-link] in there wherever
 they want even better, if not let them type whatever they like and just
 insert the link either before or after their message and keep the
 translation editors just change the text label for the actual link in a
 way of 'Confirmation Link'. We can't decide what they want to write in
 there for them, this e-mail might seem as an automated WordPress message,
 but it's basically an automated Website message so it should be personally
 handled on the way it 'talks' to it's users.

 '''About Backups''': I've asked the same question over and over again on
 different lawyers and everyone said the same thing:

 If you restore a backup with deleted information, sure you could have an
 extra list and re-delete them. Under the GDPR though there are failsafes
 for technical issues so you might as well don't even want to do that,
 nobody is going to blame you, that's something either way that is going to
 be 'seen' IF and when you ever reach an Audit etc, so basically you can
 simply keep ( not in WordPress ) the date that you reverted to a previous
 backup and that's it.

 As for progressively 'deleting' within previous backups that's not up to
 the core at all as nobody knows of course how those backups are even kept
 or where.

 In general backups and re-deletions etc is not something for core and
 especially not at this stage imho, there's already the reason out of it
 let's just try to use it and not add extra weight for the time being. This
 could be easily bumped for further looks if you like as this actually has
 the regulation itself protecting it.

 --

 '''Note''': You always see me focusing on UI and trying to push things
 into the Admin. You have to always see it from a non-tech / experienced

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/43443#comment:13>