[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #43437: Add way for registered users to request deletion or anonymization of their private data

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Wed Mar 7 17:39:11 UTC 2018

#43437: Add way for registered users to request deletion or anonymization of their
private data
------------------------------+------------------
 Reporter:  azaozz            |       Owner:
     Type:  enhancement       |      Status:  new

Comment (by mnelson4):

 @idea15 's article https://www.connected-uk.com/gdpr-for-business-owners-
 senior-executives/ makes me understand that users DON'T universally have
 the right to erasure, so site administrator approval should be given
 before erasing their data.

 Specifically, she said

 > The RTBF (Right-to-be-forgotten) is not a get-out-of-jail card, nor is
 it means of censoring difficult or embarrassing information. The RTBF can
 only be invoked if: The personal data is no longer necessary;...there is
 no legitimate processing need which overrides their request...
 > Even then, the right to erasure is not automatic. A company may continue
 to hold and processing data about an individual if they still have a legal
 basis for doing so and can continue processing that data for its original
 purpose. (In other words, you can’t RTBF your credit card bill.)

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/43437#comment:2>