[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #44470: meta property=“og:image” doesn't register if an image is executed via a shortcode in WP Post and Pages

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Thu Jun 28 23:56:43 UTC 2018

#44470: meta property=“og:image” doesn't register if an image is executed via a
shortcode in WP Post and Pages
 Reporter:  nlstm                     |       Owner:  (none)
     Type:  defect (bug)              |      Status:  reopened

Comment (by nlstm):

 I don't disagree with your strategy necessarily. A client would love that
 ability of course. A developer doesnt. You're strategy requires extra work
 for a developer, my entire point is a default behavior first which sets
 the priority to the_content images, if a client wants to change and
 override that priority then that's fine.

 But as a developer, I would never care to manually find an image and put
 that URL in a field, it's extra steps. Why wouldnt I just put the images
 in the_content section post-editor, appropriately according to a priority
 the developer chooses and human behavior is to always show your best
 images first when writing in the post-editor, because then I will know
 without thinking at all that a specific image will show first and it's
 always going to be the first image in the content then the second one and
 so on.

 I would want this as an automatic feature, if someone wants to override it
 by all means great to have that ability.

 What I am also trying to accomplish too by this is get some of the top OG
 plugin developers like you, some extra insight on a topic that I care a
 lot a lot about. I personally dont want to have to build functions or
 plugins for open graphs, if I can get some of the top ones to build out
 extra functionality.

 I am willing to continue on with the research and help in anyways, and if
 I figure out any filters or solutions I will post them, but I have a lot
 of other projects I need to do instead of building filters this month, and
 the filters I sometimes find often get deprecated after a few updated
 versions of a plugin.

 Main goal right now above anything is figure out how to get shortcodes
 within the content to register in open graph metas in the head, like I
 said no advanced shortcode plugins, php insert or any og plugins right now
 can accomplish this, Im worried about that being a wp core issue because
 of the post editor limitations when executing a shortcode.

 I appreciate your thoughts, and I agree that you are right in principle,
 but your principle requires thought processes in real time by real people
 to accomplish it. My principle is automation. Just two different
 strategies in which both are right.

 Lastly Facebook does a few things with images even if no og: protocols are
 there at all, but facebook does not do it well, caching bugs, constant
 refreshing is the problem currently when suggesting facebook does a few
 things natively, and takes a good amount of time to get facebook to do
 something natively without og: protocols. But agreed their native
 practices for Facebook, Andriod, and IOS are the_content if no og
 protocols exist. Keep in mind, facebook is not the only network I am
 considering, either, images.google.com indexing is important for
 og:protocols and other social networks that have bad native behavior for
 website images or no behavior at all, which is why you want a default
 behavior. And you want more than one og:image meta more often than not,
 looks nice on the social networks and provides more options there if you
 want them. A user can override the og:images with their own custom pick or
 simply turn off the default behavior right? Dont forget [shortcodes] are
 the main problem in the_content for registering og:images automatically is
 what this is about nothing more. Thanks @webdados I dont disagree that
 your strategies are actually best here, it just requires more time and
 work, when I want it automated by default first like how yoast does, they
 just cant parse shortcodes that execute images either right now.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/44470#comment:6>