[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #44470: meta property=“og:image” doesn't register if an image is executed via a shortcode in WP Post and Pages

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Wed Jun 27 23:03:29 UTC 2018

#44470: meta property=“og:image” doesn't register if an image is executed via a
shortcode in WP Post and Pages
 Reporter:  nlstm                     |       Owner:  (none)
     Type:  defect (bug)              |      Status:  reopened

Comment (by webdados):

 I still think the open graph image should be set explicitly, either by
 using the post featured image, a custom field, or a WordPress filter.
 Getting it from the post content is the last resort and Facebook already
 does that on the final HTML, no shortcodes hassle whatsoever. (And yes, I
 also do that on my plugin, but I do not parse shortcodes. God knows what
 each and every shortcode does each time he's parsed and I don't think I
 want to mess with that.)

 I strongly disagree with this: "the best practice is to by default get the
 images from the content section of the site".

 Maybe Open Graph tags will be supported in core sometime in the future but
 with Gutenberg around the corner, I seriously doubt "parsing shortcodes to
 find images for Open Graph" will ever be something implemented in core.
 WordPress is moving towards making shortcodes deprecated.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/44470#comment:4>