[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #44441: Remove the settings for "medium" and "large" image sizes from Settings => Media

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Sun Jun 24 18:55:02 UTC 2018

#44441: Remove the settings for "medium" and "large" image sizes from Settings =>
Media
--------------------------+---------------------
 Reporter:  azaozz        |       Owner:  (none)

Comment (by azaozz):

 Replying to [comment:5 joyously]:
 > No, I don't think I misunderstood. I'm saying that the user should be
 able to choose the sizes manually.

 Two things:
 - All current sizes will still be created and be available for the user to
 choose. This ticket is about reducing pointless options (clutter) on the
 Settings => Media screen.
 - When using `srcset` the image size that is selected by the user does not
 matter. Example: if the user selects "large" size, the browser may
 download the "medium" size instead if the width of the displayed image is
 small. The image `src` attribute is not used by the browser. The `srcset`
 is used instead.

 > I have never understood why the sizes need to be generated on upload
 (and mostly never used) when they could easily be served as needed, like
 in the Dynamic Image Sizes plugin.

 Unfortunately this is not as easily done as it appears. Depends on the
 hosting account. I believe there are few (old) tickets for that.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/44441#comment:6>