[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #43987: Block plugin updates if required PHP version is not supported - Plugins screen

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Wed Jun 13 20:22:47 UTC 2018

#43987: Block plugin updates if required PHP version is not supported - Plugins
screen
---------------------------------------------------+-----------------------
 Reporter:  schlessera                             |       Owner:  afragen
     Type:  task (blessed)                         |      Status:  assigned

Comment (by earnjam):

 There is one thing
 [https://wordpress.slack.com/archives/C60K3MP2Q/p1528807350000502 I
 brought up in Slack], but wanted to post either here or on #44350. If this
 solution is implemented, we'll have an inconsistency between how we handle
 blocking updates for plugins when their PHP version is incompatible vs
 when their WordPress version is incompatible.

 If the WP version is too low, we just don't show that there is an update
 to the plugin available at all.

 According to these mock-ups, if the PHP version is too low, we'll let
 users know there is an update, but prevent it from happening and display
 an error message explaining why.

 Should we be bringing those two things in line with each other? If the
 reason for showing the error message for the PHP version incompatibility
 is to encourage users to update, wouldn't showing the error for a
 WordPress version incompatibility do the same?

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/43987#comment:22>