[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #44671: The "Try Gutenberg" call-out needs an explicit warning for users of assistive technology users and keyboard only users to install the classic editor plugin, complete with its own heading

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Mon Jul 30 13:48:34 UTC 2018

#44671: The "Try Gutenberg" call-out needs an explicit warning for users of
assistive technology users and keyboard only users to install the classic
editor plugin, complete with its own heading
 Reporter:  arush        |      Owner:  (none)
     Type:  enhancement  |     Status:  new
Component:  General      |    Version:
 Severity:  major        |   Keywords:
  Focuses:  multisite    |
 The "Try Gutenberg" call-out needs to have an explicit recommendation
 targeted at both assistive technology users and keyboard only users that
 they should install the classic editor plugin and that these users should
 continue to use the classic editor plugin even when 5.0 ships. This is
 because for these groups of users, Gutenberg is not ready for prime-time,
 and as far as I can tell from the conversation over on Github, complete
 accessibility and useability, (or the lack thereof), are not blockers when
 it comes to release. of Gutenberg. Furthermore, as admin notices currently
 stand, they are more often than not skipped by screen reader users due to
 the very high amount of abuse of said notices by theme and plugin authors.
 So I believe this one needs to have its own heading, (something like "Very
 important"), to draw attention to the fact that the one regarding
 Gutenberg and assistive tech/keyboard only users is one that should not be
 skipped. There's no way for WordPress to detect whether or not a screen
 reader is in use, or dictation software such as Dragon, and given
 Gutenberg's current state of accessibility, asking AT or keyboard only
 users to try Gutenberg without warning them of the pitfalls involved would
 be at best problematic. Also, when 5.0 ships, and Gutenberg is roled into
 core, turning it on automatically for these user groups at least is going
 to cause a whole lot of unnecessary headaches at best, and anger and
 frustration at worst. Accessibility experts who are also long-time, heavy
 screen reader users, or straight-up screen reader experts or assistive
 technologists, and on top of either of those have spent a decade or more
 using and developing with WordPress on a daily basis, find it impossible
 to get anything done efficiently with Gutenberg. Same with keyboard-only
 users. And if the experts are having all this trouble, the people who are
 not experts in accessibility, screen reader usage, or WordPress usage are
 going to have a lot more trouble. So I believe it is our responsibility as
 a project to do our best to help all these people make a decision that's
 going to have the least negative impact on their use of WordPress.

 Amanda