[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #44617: Introduce new 'hasBlock' behavior for TinyMCE 'BeforeSetContent' and 'SaveContent' events

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Sat Jul 21 13:12:51 UTC 2018

#44617: Introduce new 'hasBlock' behavior for TinyMCE 'BeforeSetContent' and
'SaveContent' events
------------------------------------+---------------------
 Reporter:  danielbachhuber         |       Owner:  (none)
     Type:  defect (bug)            |      Status:  new

Comment (by danielbachhuber):

 Replying to [comment:2 azaozz]:

 > 1. This is "not supported formatting" in the current (classic) editor:
 >
 > Frankly I don't see why we should add support for it now. That will also
 most likely introduce several edge cases which will have to be fixed at
 the cost of adding other edge cases, etc. etc.

 I'm not sure it matters whether it's "supported" vs."not supported". It
 works, to some degree, in the Classic Editor. If we change the behavior in
 Gutenberg, then some number of users will notice and report the issue as a
 bug.

 Also, the problem applies to the single-line Shortcode Block too, not just
 multi-line shortcodes. TinyMCE currently generates this:

 {{{
 <!-- wp:shortcode -->
 <!-- /wp:shortcode -->
 }}}

 > We discussed the possible solutions to shortcodes in existing content
 when loading them in Gutenberg blocks:

 There's some more up-to-date conversation in
 https://github.com/WordPress/gutenberg/issues/3900#issuecomment-406490577

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/44617#comment:3>