[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #42578: PHP functions inside <p> tags creates new <p> tag, breaking the parent tag into two.

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Mon Jan 8 00:47:49 UTC 2018

#42578: PHP functions inside <p> tags creates new <p> tag, breaking the parent tag
into two.
---------------------------------------------+-----------------------
 Reporter:  karthikeyankc                    |       Owner:
     Type:  defect (bug)                     |      Status:  new

Comment (by jeremyescott):

 I know the choice seems to have been made, I hope I can influence the
 thought process a little here.

 Right now, we are discussing reverting the changes because, basically,
 some theme developers are frustrated. And I get that. I make themes.

 But, as of right now, a handful of theme authors, myself included have
 already fixed our sites. Its not hard to change a <p> to a <div>,
 seriously, and if you revert this, I'm going to have to go out and ask my
 clients again to pay me to revert my changes. (Or, I'm hoping, maybe it
 won't be required.)

 @swissspidy was right, '''this is a feature'''. One that was stupid late
 to the party. One I feel should be kept.

 When I make a theme for a client, my goal is to deliver it and them not
 require me to be on call to make updates. I have a client that has 400
 authors. They saw some examples of author info boxes that were richly
 detailed and they asked me why they can't even get a line break when
 desired.

 I think more people, in the past and moving forward, are more annoyed by
 the lack of a feature like basic formatting in a user-changeable box, than
 the group of theme devs who are frustrated by this.

 I fully 100% concede that maybe this change wasn't highlighted enough, or
 promoted enough, but I don't think we should take a step backwards when we
 know that the audience we're making WordPress for are publishers, not
 developers. This feature makes it easier for a publisher to make a change
 without a developer to help them.

 This would be sad change to revert.

 Further, Matt's keynote at WCUS gave me the impression that we want more
 and more of this user-friendly formatting in the future. Also, 4.8's
 WYSIWYG widgets are another example.

 I think the theme devs should pause, appreciate the change, and accept
 that every now and then an update to core might be good for the future of
 WP, even if it causes a minor headache today.

 My 2¢.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/42578#comment:22>