[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #43012: Cannot Update Post in Firefox Due to Editor and TinyMCE JavaScript TypeErrors

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Wed Jan 3 16:42:43 UTC 2018

#43012: Cannot Update Post in Firefox Due to Editor and TinyMCE JavaScript
TypeErrors
-------------------------------+--------------------
 Reporter:  johnschulz         |       Owner:
     Type:  defect (bug)       |      Status:  new
Changes (by azaozz):

 * milestone:  Awaiting Review => 4.9.2

Comment:

 Now we are getting somewhere, I can reproduce the TinyMCE issue. Happens
 when the editor is initialized on a hidden textarea. That affects
 WordPress 4.9 as it includes TinyMCE 4.6.7 (this was fixed in TinyMCE
 4.7.4).

 However I still can't reproduce it in the main editor on the Add/Edit Post
 screen. The inconsistencies:
 - The main editor is not initialized on a hidden textarea.
 - The function `findBookmarkedPosition()` where this error is triggered
 runs only when switching from Visual to Text, not when saving the post.
 - Posts are saved by submitting the form/reloading the page, so this must
 be triggered on unloading.

 Seems we are still missing something here. Nevertheless thinking this
 should probably be patched as it will fix the edge cases where
 `window.getSelection()` is run and the selection is in a hidden element in
 the DOM.

 Moving to 4.9.2 for further debugging and consideration.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/43012#comment:3>