[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #43008: Switching post status from publish to draft still allows you to see it if admin

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Tue Jan 2 14:18:48 UTC 2018

#43008: Switching post status from publish to draft still allows you to see it if
admin
-------------------------------+-----------------------------
 Reporter:  danieltj           |      Owner:
     Type:  defect (bug)       |     Status:  new
Component:  Posts, Post Types  |    Version:  4.9.1
 Severity:  normal             |   Keywords:
  Focuses:                     |
-------------------------------+-----------------------------
 After some testing, I've found a bug regarding draft posts. I did
 originally think this is a security vulnerability however '''''it is
 not''''' because this only occurs if you're logged in and the person who
 saved the post as a draft.

 If you have a post and save it as a draft, if you try and view that on the
 front-end you can see a preview, which the URL usually looks like this
 `http://wp.test/?p=100&preview=true` however if you try and view it using
 the real post URL such as `http://wp.test/test-page/` then you'll get a
 post not found error message.

 ''This is fine so far, however...''

 If you publish the post and then any time afterwards change the post to a
 draft again, it's still accessible using the real post URL even though
 it's still a draft. When a post is set to a draft, in my opinion it should
 never be accessible through it's real URL. It should only be accessible
 through the 'not pretty' preview URL instead.

 If you're not logged in, you won't be able to see draft posts regardless
 of when they were drafted, but even so, while logged in you shouldn't
 either. I've not dug into the code yet to see what's happening here but it
 doesn't seem like it's by design because it's hidden away from things like
 post lists and widgets etc.