[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #43441: WordPress News and Events widget: WordPress.org/news posts only show one at a time

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Wed Feb 28 18:16:29 UTC 2018

#43441: WordPress News and Events widget: WordPress.org/news posts only show one at
a time
----------------------------+-----------------------------
 Reporter:  hlashbrooke     |      Owner:
     Type:  enhancement     |     Status:  new
Component:  Administration  |    Version:  trunk
 Severity:  normal          |   Keywords:
  Focuses:  administration  |
----------------------------+-----------------------------
 In the WordPress News and Events widget, there is only ever one post shown
 at a time from the WordPress.org/news feed. This same rule doesn't appear
 to apply to other sources as I often see more than one post from WP
 Tavern, etc. displayed at a time.

 I'm guessing this was done because w.org/news only ever contained release
 posts and having more than one of those shown at a time was just
 unnecessary and potentially confusing. These days, however, w.org/news has
 more varied content - Month in WordPress posts, general announcements,
 etc.

 To give a practical example of where this has caused a problem - a few
 months ago the Month in WordPress post went out the day before a point
 release post, which then pushed the Month in WordPress post out of the
 widget. That month the views for the Month in WordPress were about 80%
 less than other months. Unfortunately, both of these types of posts are
 time-sensitive. Month in WordPress needs to be on 1st/2nd of the month and
 the release posts obviously need to be posted when the release goes out.

 I think it would be good if we removed the limitation that is placed on
 w.org/news to avoid these kinds of conflicts in the future.