[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #43254: Link to the Conditional Tags article in the themes handbook from DocBlocks for all conditional tag functions

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Thu Feb 8 00:01:37 UTC 2018

#43254: Link to the Conditional Tags article in the themes handbook from DocBlocks
for all conditional tag functions
----------------------------+----------------------------------------
 Reporter:  DrewAPicture    |      Owner:
     Type:  task (blessed)  |     Status:  new
Component:  Themes          |    Version:
 Severity:  normal          |   Keywords:  needs-patch good-first-bug
  Focuses:  docs            |
----------------------------+----------------------------------------
 We have a lot of conditional tags in core. And by virtue of being
 conditional, they're therefore all related.

 We've recently had some contributions to the Code Reference attempting to
 link those functions together via "Related" lists, and since we've already
 codified a fancy document about them in the themes handbook, we should
 just point interested parties there for more information instead of
 posting giant link lists on DevHub.

 I would suggest we link the page in the DocBlock descriptions via an
 inline `@link` tag vs a standalone one (which currently isn't exposed
 anywhere when the Code Reference is parsed from source). Inline link tags
 use the following syntax: `{@link URL Label}`

 I'd propose we use the same standard language along the lines of this:
 > For more information on this and similar theme functions, check out the
 [Conditional Tags] article in the Theme Developer Handbook.

 The handbook article: https://developer.wordpress.org/themes/basics
 /conditional-tags/

 The conditional tags whose docs should reference it:

 * comments_open()
 * is_404()
 * is_admin()
 * is_admin_bar_showing()